The Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary offers many outdoor learning programs for schools and groups.
- The supervisor to student ratio is 1:5.
- Programs are available from May through to the end of October.
- Educational programs are available for booking from May to March.
Looking for Unique Programming?Have a peak at our Outdoor Education Currculum Relationships!
Outdoor Education Programs
The Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary has over 9000 hectares of land with camping facilities, recreational trails and visitor centre.
- We offer a range of outdoor education programs for you and your group to enjoy or to add to the value of your visit.
- Our programs are based on curriculum and provide students with an opportunity to connect with the natural environment through emergent or organized programming.
- There are over 200 + species of birds and animals that visit or make their homes at the Sanctuary.
- We have seasoned trained staff to provide your students or group with wonderful outdoor experience.
Choose from one or more of our many organized programs. The students stay together or work in groups through a series of curriculum based presentations or activities to help guide them in the discovery of specific topics. These programs provide the educator with assistance in covering curriculum specific understandings.
We will take you class on a hike to discover nature around them. Using the emergent curriculum method we will allow the students to indicate the natural creatures and things seen along the way that your class finds interesting. We will then expand on their knowledge base, identify and discuss the things that peak their interest. .
Customize Your Visit
We are able to customize programs to meet with your classroom or group needs. Using the Parks facilities (Visitor Center and Nature Trails) we can discuss and expand on topics you have covered or wish to cover in your classroom..
Not limited to these following:
- Un-Nature - Nature Hike
- Predator Prey & Camouflage
- Reptiles and Amphibians
- Nature prop talk, Touch Table
- Name that Tree (Identification)
- Biodiversity and Forest Communities
- Birds, Forest Birds, Waterfowl, Raptors etc.
- Wildlife Investigators
- Wetlands – Pond Studies - seasonal
- Wild about Flowers -seasonal
- Animals & Other Living Things
- Living vs. Non Living
- Human Impact and Adaptation
- Myths, Legends and Lore
- X-Marks the Bug
Contact us for more details on programs.
Spring, Fall & Winter
- We take reservations Monday to Thursday for Schools.
- Times will vary with operational dates.
- Call to discuss available times for programs.
Large Groups, Self Guided Programs
- It is best to arrange a full day visitor or more than 2 hours when more than 40 students or two small classes are attending.
- Large Groups will be provided with nature Scavenger hunts or self guided programs to balance the guided programs provided by the Staff at the Sanctuary.
Special Interest Groups – Guides and Scouts
- Special interest groups are welcome to arrange program times on the Weekends.
- Badge work is available under our program offers, for Guides, and Scouts
- Family reunions and other large groups wishing to have a guided program of their own are welcome to contact us to reserve a visit.
The same fees apply to family reunions requesting a program.
Book Your Visit
- Call: Education Officers at 613-537-2024 or Customer Care Unit - 1-800-437-2233
- Email email@example.com to inquire or request more details
- Contact us to discuss the details and needs of your visit!
- Bookings can be requested through email, but a follow phone call to confirm dates is required.
- $5.00 per person per program. (tax included)
- 1 adult for everyone 5 students is free, additional adults would pay the program fee.
- Average program length -15 people or more program length will range from 1 -1 .5 hrs.
- Larger groups or more than one class will require 1.5 – 2 hrs per program.
- Minimum participation maybe required depending on time of year.
- Prices may vary depending on other details or requirements of your visit. IE... snowshoe or campsite rental etc.)
- Everyone must dress for the weather, everything is outside with little time spent inside
- Cancellations or rescheduling is required prior to your visit
- It is the Teachers responsibility to cancel and arrange an alternate date.
- A Cancellation fee will apply
- Payment is required upon arrival